On the 29th of October 2009 the Engerhafe Concentration Camp Memorial Association was founded. Association members elaborated a concept for a memorial site of Engerhafe concentration camp. The memorial site is dedicated to the slain and the surviving prisoners paying tribute to the victim's dignity they were bereft of in imprisonment. In artistic, scientific and pedagogical ways the memorial site intends to function informatively and is especially supposed to
• keep alive the memory of the events of that time for future generations,
• be deeply concerned with the events:
- the inhumane actions of the offenders,
- intended or unintended involvement of authorities, the church and the army,
- the helplessness of oppositional contemporaries,
• warn that each threat to human dignity harms the own dignity and can everywhere lead to conditions as in Engerhafe at all times,
• move and encourage us to resist any violation of human dignity resolutely and to make sure that human dignity will be preserved.
Constantly the conceptual work is being considered and developed in work groups of the board of trustees.
The work groups are trying to explore the history and the occurrences in the concentration camp of Engerhafe as well as at the building sites of the antitank ditches in Aurich. They are aiming to absorb as much information as possible about the lives of the victims as of the survivors for documentary reasons in order to present their research at the memorial site. Through combining the findings with artistic images the events can also be perceived emotionally.
The work groups are free to join and invite everybody to cooperation. The association is happy about everyone who supports our concerns through membership, donations or active cooperation.
The several work groups are:
- Conceptual work
Carl Osterwald, Herbert Müller, Ulrich Kohlhoff
- Research, accounting for the past and documentation
- Research of the antitank ditches construction in Aurich
- Interviewing contemporary witnesses and documentation
- Design of the memorial site
- Contact to other memorial sites
- Organisation of visits and tours
- Contact to schools and youth groups
- Preparation and organisation of events
Prof. Georg Koschnick
Ulrich Kohlhoff, Helge Reelfs
Memorial plaques on the cemetery of Engerhafe
to the top ...